Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)
All students enrolled in a driver's education or pre-licensing course must present a TIP and keep it in possession throughout in-car instruction and during the road test. You need to make an appointment at the real OMV. You may contact the Office of Motor Vehicles at (225) 925-6146.
All applicants must apply to the Office of Motor Vehicles for a class E Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP) prior to participation in the knowledge test, operation of a motor vehicle during on-road driving skills instruction, or participation in the on-road driving skills test. The TIP may be issued to any individual that is at least 14 years of age. The TIP allows a driver education student to operate a motor vehicle when accompanied by a driver education instructor and when completing behind the wheel instruction or during the administration of a skills test. Applicants shall meet all other Office of Motor Vehicles identification requirements. This requirement does not apply to applicants enrolled in a National Guard Youth Challenge Program. Any student enrolled in a driver education, driver training program, or a pre-licensing training course prior to 09/04/2018 is exempt from this requirement.
Documents Required for Issuance of a Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)
- Proof of identification
- Proof of residency (2)
- Verification of your Social Security Number
- Acceptable verification includes your Social Security card, W2 form, or a print out from the Social Security Administration verifying the number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, a letter from the Social Security Administration must be presented. The number may also be given verbally.
- You must also present one additional form of identification such as a photo work ID, high school diploma, insurance card, etc.
Additional Requirements for Applicants Seventeen and Under
- The signature of the custodial parent or legal guardian is required for the issuance of any license (including first time applications, duplicates and changing restrictions).
- Documentation must be presented to prove custody or legal guardianship.
- Identification must be presented by the minor and the parent or guardian.
- Only the domiciliary parent may sign if joint custody has been awarded.
OMV DOES NOT ACCEPT PHOTOCOPIES OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Make an appointment at expresslane.org